Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Pet Peeves - Do They Need Food and Water?

We all have them; perhaps some more than others: those little things that people (and machines, sometimes) do that annoy us. I mean really, really annoy us...

One of my biggest is when people stop in the middle of aisles or entryways/exitways (especially entryways) instead of moving off to one side or the other, or proceeding an extra 10-feet to get out of the flow of traffic. Stores, amusement parks - any public space with narrow entry/exit points (doors, turnstiles, etc.), really; just do me (and everyone else that you are blocking or holding up) a favor and move out of the flow of traffic before you stop dead in your tracks to figure out whatever it is your trying to figure out (for entryways, it's usually "where do I want to go?"). I don't know how many times I've had to stop and politely (and annoyingly) wait until whomever it is in front of me decides to move out of the way so I (and often others behind me) and also "come in" (or "get by"). Amusement park entrances are bad because you will have several groups of people, all waiting "just inside" the entrance(s) for the rest of their party, oblivious to the fact that there are other people trying to get in (and several of them doing the same, exact thing). That is why on a (relatively) recent trip to Disneyland, I told my niece (as well as the rest of my family) to go to the wall located another 20-feet (give or take) beyond the gates before stopping (worked great, by the way; nobody go lost and everybody was out of traffic flow).

Stores can be worse 'cuz in addition to doorways, you have people pushing carts through aisles. I don't mind people going slowly, looking at the shelves, trying to figure out (or find) what they want - I do that too. Just don't go creeping down the middle of the aisle: pick a side - either side, it really doesn't matter which (though here in America, we're, more or less, conditioned to travel on the right-hand side, 'cuz that's how we drive), just as long as someone behind you (whom you didn't see 'cuz you're not looking - but that's OK) can get past you.

Courtesy, people. Just plain, simple, everyday, common courtesy (which I guess is something that seems to be less and less taught to children these days; pity). Stop "daydreaming" and be just a little aware of what's going on around you and GET OUT OF THE WAY!!!!

Did I mention it's one of my biggest pet peeves?

Another one is "improper" change from a vending machine or automatic cashier. The proper way to give 30ยข (that's "thirty cents", in case you can't read it) in change is by giving one quarter and one nickle, and NOT three dimes (unless you're out of quarters). It's a simple algorithm - I've programmed it myself way back in the day when I was first learning BASIC. So why does it seem like every time I have a slight variation on that amount coming back to me the stupid machine gives me three dimes? You know it's just not possible for the machine to be out of quarters every single time I use one, but invariably that's what it does. Whoever programmed them needs to go back to elementary school and learn how to count change.

Morons.

I have others, of course, but I ran into both of these today at the store. Which is what got me thinking (always dangerous) and what ultimately "drove" me to posting.

And in case any one you (whomever you may be) were wondering if I would give an answer to my post's title, wonder no more 'cuz here it is: No, they don't. It seems they live, thrive, grow and even reproduce themselves without need of food or water.

So be on guard, lest they take over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home