Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Software De-Bugging Theme Song

I was reading the "design notes" of a recently released, non-beta version of an on-line game I play. They (the creators/programmers) were going to spend the day fixing known bugs in said game. They said that the day felt like it needed it's own theme song and they asked "Anyone want to write one?". Several people, including myself, decided they would and posted them in the game's forum pages. I was rather proud of the job I did, so I thought I'd share it here too. I haven't written any music for it, though. Not sure if I ever will. Want to collaborate? If you write an original score to go with the lyrics, I'll give you co-credit if I like and use it (if I don't like it for this song, I promise I won't use it for any others without your permission).


Bug-Smash (by TubaMeister)

They like to hide amongst the code,
Waiting…biding their time,
Until at last they strike quite bold;
More annoying than any mime.

We call them ‘bugs’; those little flaws
Created by us, the coders.
Late nights with coffee they will cause
As they slip past the loaders.

Chorus:
Hunt them down; find them all and cause their end;
It’s a bug-smash fest, I say.
Break out the “No-Doze” and pizza, my friend;
We’re fixing bugs today.


Misplaced decimals and typos, too;
Mostly they are those.
Though sometimes we’re without a clue
As to how they first arose.

(Chorus)

We pull our hair and cry at night
With much ado and fanfare
When tough ones cause a long drawn-out fight
Those buggy little nightmares.

(Chorus)

And once we think we’ve got them, Jack,
We start another round
Of coding which only brings them back
And many more are found.

(Repeat Chorus 2 times)

(Chorus and fade)



I think anyone who's done any type of programming would agree with those lyrics.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home