Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Hardest Thing

What's the hardest thing for a person to do? I realize that's an open-ended question, and a lot of people will first think of some physical activity, like lifting a really heavy weight. But without any restrictions, lifting any heavy weight can be easy, if you use the right tools and apply a little logic. There are other types of physical activities which are indeed hard, but I personally think that the hardest thing to do has nothing to do with "physical", but rather "psychological". For some people, apologizing is very difficult. But is there something more universally difficult? I think there is.

The Bible tells us to "...pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you..." (Matt. 5:44). I think this gets my vote for the hardest thing a person can do. If not "the" hardest, it is certainly one of the hardest (and at least in the top 5). I have been struggling with this.

There is a person where I work that fits this description perfectly. He has, on several occasions, stabbed me in the back (metaphorically speaking, of course), and yet when he needs something from me, he's all smiles and supportive. I don't know if he thinks I'm stupid, or if I'm just oblivious to his working against me.

For the record, I'm neither stupid nor oblivious. But I digress...

There was a specific instance at work which got me thinking just how hard it is to "pray for those which despitefully use you". But knowing this is what I'm supposed to do, I try. But as I say, it is a very hard thing to do. For one thing, exactly what am I supposed to pray for? A blessing? Well, in the same verse, it says "...bless them that curse you..." so I suppose that would not be out-of-line. On the other hand, I can't help but feel that would be rewarding someone for their poor behavior. But then again, that's not for me to decide.

Of course, I'm not "singled out" by this person. On the contrary, he behaves the same towards several others. About the only one he doesn't treat this way is the "Big Cheese" himself (but then, that would be career suicide; and though this person is an idiot, he's not stupid).

But that doesn't really help me with my dilemma. I am responsible for my actions, and no one else's. It doesn't matter what others do; it only matters what I do. So I keep trying.

Perhaps, one day, I'll even get it right.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

*sigh* I'm finding more and more that patience and forgiveness are some of the most difficult things to do.
Although, I do love that little verse in Proverbs 25, about how blessing your "enemy" with food or drink when they're hungry or thirsty will "heap burning coals upon his head, and the Lord will reward you."

21/1/08 12:18  

Post a Comment

<< Home