Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Christmas Time is Here

I guess you can call me "old-fashioned" - I hold to the tradition that the Christmas season doesn't officially begin until AFTER Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in NYC is concluded. I don't care for stores setting up their Christmas displays the day after Halloween - that's the Thanksgiving season, for crying out loud. I don't particularly like hearing Christmas music or ads on the radio or TV prior to Thanksgiving Day, either. It's just not right.

Now, don't get me wrong - I'm no Scrooge. I will play Christmas music from "T-day + 1" until New Years Eve. One of my largest genres of CDs happens to be Christmas music (I have over 20 Christmas CDs, and I try to add at least one a year, though that doesn't always happen). It's just that it seems these days that Christmas is so commericalized, that Thanksgiving is left out-in-the-cold (so to speak), and the true meaning of Christmas is forgotten.

But I shall discuss that another day.

As I'm writing this post, I'm listening to the four "Manhiem Steamroller" Christmas CDs (some of my favorite Christmas music) on my new MP3 player. I've been listening all day at work (taking my earphones out when I need to for answering the phone, talking with colleagues, etc.) - all day yesterday, too. That Chip Davis is very talented.

Some of my other Christmas music favorites include the "Canadian Brass", the "Glenn Miller Orchestra", and of course "Bing Crosby" CDs. I probably have more Bing Crosby Christmas CDs than any other artist. I mean, it's just not Christmas without Bing.

Danny Kaye is great too, but I don't know if he ever did Chirstmas albums, per se. I know he recorded at least a few songs, because I have them. He sang with the Andrews Sisters on "A Merry Christmas at Grandmother's" (which is a version of "Over the River and Through the Woods"), as well as "All I want for Christmas (is my Two Front Teeth)" with Patty Andrews. I should do a web-search to see if I can find more.

Of course, there's also the TV specials and Christmas movies (just don't get me started about "It's a Wonderful Life"). "White Christmas" and "A Charlie Brown Christmas" are two of my favorites.

Which reminds me - TRIVIA TIME!!!!

Q: Ok, so I can't find anything to back me up on this, but I know I heard it on the radio a few years ago - I'll see if I can't find some type of confirmation somewhere (maybe): What is the most requested song of the Christmas season?

A: "Linus and Lucy" by the Vince Guaraldi Trio. It can be found on "A Charlie Brown Christmas" CD.

You say you've never heard of it? Wanna bet? Click on the link to "Vince Guaraldi" above - it plays on their web-site (of course, the one on the web-site is slightly different than the one on "A Charlie Brown Christmas" - it is a jazz piece, afterall).

Merry Christmas!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home