Friday, December 22, 2006

Merry Christmas!

Christmas - it's one of a handful of holidays that is celebrated all around the world. There's also "New Year's" (obviously) and perhaps "Easter"; some countries commemorate "Armistice Day" ("Remembrance Day" in Canada, "Veteran's Day" in the US), but that's all I can think of at the moment (anyone know of any other world-wide holidays?). Just about every "civilized" country in the world celebrates "Christmas". And although it has been commercialized, and “re-packaged” as a day for “Santa Claus”, the true meaning of Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God, who came to Earth to die for our sins so that we would not have to.

But Jesus’ death was not the end, it was just the beginning, but that is the story of Easter. This is Christmas.

Yes, we celebrate the birth of Christ - the Messiah. He turned the world up-side-down. No other figure in history has made more of an impact. We even divide time itself based on His birth - "BC" meaning "Before Christ", and "AD" meaning "Anno Domini", Latin for "in the Year of our Lord". Some think He was just a "good man" or just a prophet, but He is more - He is the living son of the living God.

He taught us "the Golden Rule": "Do unto others, as you would have done unto you." He also taught us: "Love one another, as your Father in heaven loves you." and "Love your enemies; do good to those who hate you."

Love is His message.

So what, then, is the true meaning of Christmas? Love, pure and simple. We get so caught-up in our day-to-day lives that most of the year, we forget this. Some even forget at Christmas, for various reasons. But then, with so many focused on material things, is it really any wonder?

Don't get me wrong, I like havng things and I like getting things, but most of my possesions are mere trinkets. If I were to lose them all tomorrow, what would I have really lost? Not much - just about everything is replacable. A few sentimental items may be irreplaceable, but only for the memories they remind me of (hence "sentimental").

Truth be told, I enjoy watching people open gifts from me, more than I enjoy opening my gifts. The old adage really is true: "'Tis better to give, than to recieve." and if you don't believe it or have never felt that way, then my sympathies go out to you, for you are a lost soul indeed. But have courage: just because one is lost doesn't mean one must stay lost; we were all lost souls at one time or another.

If you are looking for answers, like so many of us are/have, then try looking to the One who is "the reason for the season"; because He has all of the answers you're looking for. But don't take my word for it - go do your own research, and see for yourself. Many people have researched Christ for the express purpose of "disproving Him", only to prove to themselves that He really is "The Way" (Josh McDowell is one such person; you might find some of his books of interest).

Well, I don't really know what to say after that. So, I guess I'll just say to everyone all around the world, wherever and whomever you may be, I wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home