Monday, June 25, 2007

Movie Review: "Bridge to Terabithia"

"Bridge to Terabithia" is apparently a 'children's' book first published in 1977, though I've never heard of it. But then again, there are probably millions of books that I've never heard of. But I digress...

This last week (6/19/07), "Bridge to Terabithia" came out on DVD. I had heard good things about it, so I bought it and watched it over the weekend. It was not what I expected.

From what little I did know, I knew it was about a make-believe kingdom that was visited by some kids. So what I expected was something more along the lines of "Chronicles of Narnia". However, it's really more of a story of friendship than a make-believe kingdom. In fact, you really see very little of the kingdom.

I don't want to go into too much detail and give away too much. If you've seen it, then you know. If you've not seen it, I don't want to spoil anything.

Suffice it to say that I think it is a wonderful movie. Compared to other films (like "Narnia" or "Lord of the Rings"), there are few special effects - but what is there is excellent. The acting was great too (Zooey Deschanel has a marvelous supporting role as one of the teachers).

But as I said, it's really a movie about friendship, and is very relatable. I don't know if I would let very young children watch it without an adult, not because of anything crass or language or anything like that, but because there would most likely be questions, as there are parts which are very sad (and young minds like to ask a lot of questions).

If you've not seen the movie, go rent it (or buy it) and watch it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good words.

10/11/08 17:40  

Post a Comment

<< Home