Sunday, July 22, 2007

Poetry 201

Like all of us, at one time or another, I have gone through some "dark times" in my life. They are never fun. If I had my druthers, we’d never have to go through them; but alas, that is not for me to say. Still, I’ve never known them to "last forever", though at times it does seem that they do.

Recently, I found myself going through another dark time. Unlike many other ones, I had been ‘dabbling’ with my poetry and managed to ‘ink-out’ a few verses. Some are "unfinished", though perhaps they really are and I just don’t realize it.

I have decided to share some of them because what good are any creative works (paintings, photographs, writings, etc.) if they are never seen/read/heard by anyone? I’m not trying to elicit sympathy, but then again, I’m not going to tell you what you should (or should not) feel either.

Some of them are, I think, some of my better work...

****
"Dreams"

A long time ago, at least so it seems,
I used to have goals, I used to have dreams.
But one by one they have all disappeared;
They just seemed to have vanished, it's really quite weird.

I'm not sure I know just when it did happen,
Most likely real slow, over years, I imagine.
But one thing's for sure, at it really is so,
I've no more dreams, by which I can go.

****
"My Heart is Broken" (Unfinished?)

My heart is broken. My spirit is crushed. My dreams are shattered. I am a broken man.

****
"Heartache Surrounds Me" (Unfinished?)

Heartache surrounds me; sorrow fills my nights; and my days are long, indeed.
For she whom I have feelings for has cause my soul to bleed.

She said she cared, but I can't recall any actions by her that show
To me her words were true; instead her actions say it's not so.

****
"Will My Heart Ever Learn to Love Again?" (Unfinished?)

Will my heart ever learn to love again? Will joy return to my soul?
These questions I ask with sincerity; for truly, I do not know.

****
"Doomed"

How does it feel to be doomed by love? How does it feel to be cursed?
For love unrequited is truly just that; It's the one thing that truly is worst.

It's a hole in one's heart, an ache in one's soul, a longing that goes unfulfilled;
A desire unanswered; no joy can be found. Many poets have this subject quilled.

All of my life, I too, have been cursed; for no other love have I known.
First-hand do I know how gut-wrenching it is to always find oneself alone.

Now and then I will meet someone nice who I think may finally come liberate me;
But "I don't like you 'that' way." is what they all say, then they turn and away from me flee.

So I'm left here alone with my broken heart, and a spirit so totally crushed,
That oft do I doubt that they'll ever be fixed and never again will I trust.

So doomed I am, and I guess doomed I'll be, until, perhaps, one day I find
That one certain girl, whomever she is, who'll allow our two hearts to bind.

****
"Shattered Dreams" (Unfinished)

Shattered dreams, broken heart;
What's a poor boy like me to do?
"All is a stage, we each play a part",
But what mine is, I haven't a clue.

I ache, I pine, I thoroughly hurt;
And I can't seem to do anything right.
I feel miserable, worthless, lower than dirt.
I seem to have lost my will to fight.

****
"Dark are my thoughts"

Dark are my thoughts. Oh, how I wish they were not - but they are.
Heartache fills my soul. Oh, how I wish it did not - but it does.
My spirit cries-out. Oh, how I wish I had an answer - but I don't.
I am lost. Oh, how I wish I were not - but I am.

Woe, is me. Woe, is me. I have no solace; I have no comfort; I have no joy. Oh, how I wish that I did - but I do not.

"If only...", my head thinks. "If only...", my heart cries. "If only...", my spirit says. "If only...", my soul prays.

"If only..."

****

"Doomed" is my favorite.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home